Saturday, August 22, 2009

Chickenfoot - Super Group...Super Guys!

Yeah, I know it's been a long time since I last posted. I figured once we started with Chickenfoot I'd have lots of time to write. After all, our opening set is only 40 minutes each night. But I'm finding myself busier working these shows that I am when we're headlining our own. Who-da-thunk-it?

Anyway, I'm sitting in our green room at the House of Blues in Atlantic City looking down at Davy and the guys sound checking. It's great we have this view, but it makes for a distracting work session. It will be great to watch Chickenfoot from here.

So the venue itself is very cool, but the load in procedure was one of the weirdest things ever. I heard a rumor it's about a quarter mile from where our bus is parked to the stage. After walking it a couple times, I wouldn't disagree with that estimate. I'm REALLY looking forward to load-out...

A few of you have been asking about Chickenfoot. What is Sammy Hagar like? Is Cabo Wabo Tequila good? Do you party with them? Do you watch their show? Are they good?

First off, every single one of the Chickenfoot guys are great. I've had most 'face time' with Michael Anthony because he loves to watch Davy and the guys perform. He usually stands near me and we BS about how good DK&BDS is. In response to his statement the other night, "they're already done?" I told him we only get 40 minutes as the opener. He said, "They can play however long they want! I love watching your guys!"

Sammy is a good guy too. Loves to have a great time no matter what's going on. The first night of the tour he invited us into their dressing room and said, "Come hang out whenever you want." And then he made us all Margaritas...one of the best I've ever had!

Chad Smith is a character! He's always 'performing' in some way. A lot of people say he looks like Will Ferrell, which I agree with. But it's not just his looks...he acts like him a bit too. He probably throws anywhere from 40-80 drum sticks in the crowd each night. Even though he's sober, he parties harder than anyone else on tour (meaning he's a wild and crazy guy).

Joe Satriani is one of the sweeter dudes I've come across. He always takes time to congratulate Davy and the guys about the show. He's always smiling and always says hello when we cross paths. It's hard to believe he was ever involved with a copyright infringement law suit. I imagine he had little to do with it...

(so I started this a few days ago...now I'm sitting on the bus outside the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina)

...behind the venue here is an Alligator farm. I guess it's one of the biggest in the world and it was incredible. We walked in just as the staff started their 3pm feeding. There were probably 35-40 gators all fighting to get the pieces of chicken that were being thrown at them. It was quite a site to see...

Looks like we're 10 minutes from show time tonight, so I must go. I'll actually publish this now and write more soon (hopefully!).

:)

No comments: